Another great week in college football. The ALA-LSU game was one of my favorites to watch, love the hard hitting, and the intensity. Of course it went to OT. Texas Tech rolled again, which is very impressive. The ACC is still really tough to figure out. The Big East is still a mess with Cincinnati making a splash. The spots after 15 or so are really tough to fill out right now, might as well flip a coin. Forgot a quick shoutout to Tennessee and Illinois...nice work your giving Flame more fuel for the Non-BCS argument. Without further ado...
1. Texas Tech- LW 2- The Red Raiders finally have me convinced all the way. With the way this team is playing defense now they are the top team in the country. Their offense is incredible as usual, but their improved defense and running game finally have them contending in the big time. An off week (deserved) and then a trip to Norman.
2. Alabama- LW 1- The Tide made several mistakes against a fired up LSU squad. They came away with an impressive win in Death Valley. Their ability to throw the ball to beat you is something I find suspect. Their defense is still very good. Their showdown with Florida in the SEC CG will be for a spot in the NC Game.
3. Florida- LW 4- This team is on cruise control. Timmy Tebow is back to his usual beastmode self, and is dominating again. The defense led by Spikes is improving every week. The speed this team has…is just scary.
4. Texas- LW 5- Hookem Horns continues to go through the Big 12. They got the really tough ones out of the way and have to stay focused. Unless Texas Tech loses they cannot get to the Big 12 CCG, they will be very tough in a BCS game though.
5. University of Southern California- LW 5- Cal is one of the better teams on their schedule and they won the game. I am not sure how good this team really is. They haven’t really been tested by a really good opponent yet. Still have doubts about this team.
6. Oklahoma- LW 7- The Sooners can score with the best of them…and they will have to in order to hang with TTU in a couple of weeks. Sam Bradford throws it all over the field, and their talented group of WR makes moves after the catch. The defense continues to be a slight question mark in my mind.
7. Pennsylvania State University- LW 3- The game against Iowa turned out to be a trap. Please remember the name Shonn Greene because he is a monster. Penn State did not look great, but this team is still better than the rest. If they win against Indiana (duh) and Michigan State (likely) they will go to the Rose Bowl, not a bad season for old Joe Pa (The game was mismanaged though, in the wind as well).
8. Boise State- LW 9- This team is one that I have trouble figuring out. They look very good against their competition, but their competition hasn’t been much at all. A win against Oregon is really the only hallmark on the schedule. I guess we will see after they run the WAC and play in a BCS game.
9. Utah- LW 10- A nice win over TCU this week. Brian Johnson leads the team well, and will lead them to an undefeated season (still have BYU), doubtful for an at-large bid though.
10. Ohio State- LW 12- The Bucks offense looked better this week. If Pryor keeps improving this team will not only be dangerous down the stretch…but in the foreseeable future. The defense is solid as usual.
11. Oklahoma State- LW 8- Zac Robinson is still a very good QB, but they ran into a buzz saw. Their schedule has been very tough, but they can prove a lot by winning ‘BEDLAM’.
12. Missouri- LW 13- The offense appears to be back on track. Chase Daniel leads the offense, and the defense needs to continue to improve if they want a shot at winning the Big 12 Title game against one of those monsters from the South.
13. Georgia- LW 14- UGA wins a shootout in the SEC? It was good to see Matt Stafford get back on track. UGA can still get to the Capital One Bowl (disappointment), but might meet the also disappointed Buckeyes.
14. Brigham Young University- LW 16- The Cougars continue to climb back up the rankings in part due to Max Hall’s impressive performance at QB. How good are they really? We’ll find out…
15. Michigan State- LW 17- This team is not your uncle’s Michigan State. They are not going to fold like a lawnchair down the stretch. Dantonio has them playing well and Hoyer is playing just well enough to give Ringer room to run. An improved defense gives them a chance to beat Penn State in the final week.
16. Ball State- LW 19- Flame’s boys jump up the rankings in part because this is the first full game I have seen of theirs. Nate Davis is a very good QB who is NFL caliber. Winning the MAC will not get them in a BCS bowl, but small steps and the recognition from 08 could get them into a BCS game in 09 (if Davis stays).
17. North Carolina- LW 22- This team continues to win with Sexton (backup ) at QB. Their defense is tenacious. They are a team who is coached by Butch Davis and they just find a way to win. The ACC is wide open, but they are top of the class.
18. Pittsburgh- LW 23- Pitt handled Louisville easily. This team seems to finally have found their grove. Shady McCoy is one of the best RB’s in the country. We could see them in a BCS bowl…
19. Cincinnati- LW UR- The Bearcats beat WVU in OT this week. A very nice game for them. At 7-2 they still have Pitt but then SYR and @Hawaii (nice scheduling in Dec. by the way).
20. Florida State- LW UR- Bobby got a nice birthday gift an easy win (in the former Bowden Bowl). Ponder continues to improve as do the Noles. ACC champ?
21. Texas Christian University- LW 11- A tough loss to Utah this week on Thursday night. The Horned Frogs have a great defense, and could pose a problem to a BCS conference team in a bowl game.
22. Louisiana State University- LW 16- The Tigers played very well against the Tide. They matched up well, and played well on the lines. Their running game is very good, and could frankly beat the teams ranked behind them.
23. Tulsa- LW UR- Tulsa is recovering from their loss against Arkansas and are still a one loss team. Their schedule is weak, but their offense is still pretty impressive.
24. Oregon- LW UR- The Ducks have a solid offense, but have not beaten a good team all year.
25. Oregon State- LW UR- The Quiz is a beast at RB. He has been very good for them. This team still controls their own destiny in the Pac 10. Win out…and the title is theirs.
On the cusp: A ton of teams…Minnesota, Northwestern, BC, VT, South Carolina, and a couple more.
Dropped out: Georgia Tech (18), WVU (20), Cal (21), Minnesota (24), Maryland (25)
New Arrivals: Cincinnati (19), Florida State (20), Tulsa (23), Oregon (24), Oregon State (25)
POW: Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech: Hate giving it to the same guy again but cannot deny 40/50 for 456 yards, and 6 TDs (no INTS!). Oklahoma State has a good defense too. What a great player, and your Heisman leader…