Another interesting week, with some great performances, and a couple of upsets. My top 25 was shaken this week with 4 teams dropping out of the rankings after unimpressive performances. Here it goes fellas:
1. Southern California- How many bye weeks does this team have? This team has been impressive thus far…although they have only played 2 games.
2. Oklahoma- Sam Bradford is a very good QB who has a great efficiency rating. The defense is very good, and Oklahoma seems to like to hang half a hundred on people. They have a long road to go in the Big 12.
3. Georgia- UGA went on the road and beat an ok Arizona State team. I am impressed when a team goes on the road, and takes care of the opponent. Knowshon is a beast, and the defense is physical. Knowshon just does crazy stuff…the dive into the endzone was just crazy. Watch out SEC.
4. Florida- The Gators went in and just destroyed the Vols. Tebow is doing what his team needs him to do to win, but isn’t putting up the gawdy stats. Percy Harvin and the rest of the weapons are enough to put fear in any defense.
5. Louisiana State University- LSU went on the road in a very tough place to play, and beat a good Auburn team. The offense is good with Charles Scott, but the QB spot is still in a little bit of question. If the QB manages the game, and doesn’t throw those pick 6’s the LSU team could be very very tough.
6. Missouri- Missouri drops one this week after beating Buffalo by 21. It wasn’t as much what the Tigers did, but what the other Tigers did (LSU that is). Chase Daniel has led that offense…and with Jeremy Maclin they will be really tough to even slow down.
7. Texas- The Longhorns took care of a pretty good Rice team. Rice can score, but Muscamp (one of the best DCs in the country) held them to just 10 points. Colt McCoy is really stepping up this year.
8. Wisconsin- The Badgers got the week off after an impressive win against Fresno State on the road. The Badgers will have to bring it in Big 10 play if they want to get a shot at that coveted BCS spot (which they have missed out on the last couple of years, because no conference can provide 3 teams).
9. Alabama- The Tide rolls on, this time on Bobby Petrino. They did that one for all loyal fans across the country. Julio Jones is an absolute monster, and Bama ran it all over Arkansas this week.
10. Penn State- Hello Nittany Lions. Joe Pa is leading this squad against inferior competition thus far, but they are just taking them to the woodshed. The running game is good with Royster and co., and the passing game is improving with Clark at the helm, and Butler on the outside. The defense is still untested.
11. Texas Tech- The Red Raiders appear to have a bit of a defense with that outrageous video game offense. I would say put two guys on Michael Crabtree…but I am not sure it would make a difference.
12. Ohio State- Many will have them ranked lower than this, but this team may be energized with Pryor running the show. Boeckman got just one snap this week. Pryor appears to be the new QB, and he did well today throwing 4 TD passes. He needs to work on when to put touch on the ball, and when to throw that laser. His mobility makes the Bucks offense at least able to move the ball. They enter Big 10 play next week with Minnesota…what a test…
13. South Florida- The Bulls are a team that I have trouble figuring out. Matt Grothe is a good QB, and they have a fairly solid D, but sometimes they look less than impressive. They get the benefit of the doubt with their nice win against Kansas, but will they be tested in the BE? Who knows?
14. Auburn- The Tigers had a tough game against LSU, and came up on the short end of the stick. LSU got a late TD to go up. Auburn has a very good defense which will keep them in games, if the offense ever comes along they will be really tough to beat.
15. Brigham Young University- BYU continues to put up points seemingly at will. Sure Wyoming isn’t a very good team, but blanking them 44-0 ain’t bad. Max Hall can throw it around, and they may run the table and be looking to be a spoiler in a BCS game.
16. Wake Forest- This team will not ‘wow’ anyone with flashy games, but they just win games. Skinner can throw it through a pinhole by the way. This team has a shot get through the ACC nearly unscathed.
17. Kansas- A lot of people don’t quite believe in this team yet, but I am not one of them. Reesing is one of those QBs I really like watching. He seems to move around the pocket all the time, and almost always find an open receiver. This kid will lead the JayHawks to many more wins this year.
18. Utah- They did not look great against Air Force, but came away with the win. Johnson runs their spread offense very well, and makes them difficult to stop. I am not sure this team has a great win yet (Michigan is not a great win this year).
19. Illinois- The Illini got the week off after an unimpressive win last week. Juice and the boys will have a tough task next week going to Penn State at night. That place gets crazy, and Penn State is a good football team. This game will show us a bit more about the Illini (was last week a fluke?).
20. Clemson- The Tigers still impress with their potentially great rushing attack. They need to improve winning those games they are supposed to win (they always seem to lose a couple of those). The team is talented, but they need to stay focused to have a chance to win the ACC.
21. Virginia Tech- VA Tech beat a pretty good North Carolina team, which seemingly has a lot of weapons. Tyrod Taylor can be a good QB, and the VA Tech defense needs to step up and get their lunch pail in order for VA Tech to compete in the ACC.
22. Michigan State- Javon Ringer is an absolute beast. The guy can just run the football. Dell is a very good WR, and they need their QB to pick it up a bit if they want defenses to respect the pass. They will need to throw the ball (preferably off play action for them) in order to keep lanes open and 9 out of the box against Ringer.
23. Connecticut- They finally make it from ‘on the cusp’ into the poll. Not a lot of folks know about this team, but Brown can run the football. They didn’t play great against Baylor (who has a beast at QB by the way). They just find a way to win games, that is something that I respect. They also have that soft BE schedule…look out.
24. Vanderbilt- Wait…this is not a joke. Yes that Vandy that is 4-0. Vandy has a tough test with Auburn next week, when will find out if this team is for real.
25. Oklahoma State- Another team goes from ‘on the cusp’ into the rankings. Oklahoma State had the bye this week, and were successful. Robinson is a very good QB who can lead the offense to scores. The defense will have to step up. The schedule doesn’t get easier…with games AT Missouri, Texas, and Texas Tech.
On the cusp: East Carolina, Oregon, Miami (FL), North Carolina
Dropped Out: Oregon (17), ECU (15), WVU (23), Fresno State (25)
POW: Colt McCoy, Texas- Colt had yet another great week. He went 19/23 with 329 yards passing and 4 TDs. He also rushed 8 times for 83 yards, and a TD. A nice game for Colt who is quietly (in the QB packed Big 12) having a very good year.